When buying any of the five products in the Orange Drop Program keep in mind the BUD rule:
- Buy only what you need
- Use it all up
- Drop off the rest and we’ll recycle, reprocess or dispose of it safely
If you can’t avoid leftovers, follow these tips to gather and safely store Orange Drop materials in your home before taking them to your nearest drop-off location:
- Handle products with care in a well-ventilated area and follow manufacturers’ instructions
- Clean up spills with an absorbent material such as cat litter
- Store materials in sealed containers with a secured lid
- Store materials out of reach of animals and children
- Store flammable materials away from sources of sparks, heat and light
- Store incompatible products separately:
- A plastic tub is a good place to collect spent batteries. Apply tape to the terminals of lithium batteries.
- Store pressurized containers outside in an area where they are least likely to suffer from physical damage or tampering. When transporting, secure pressurized cylinders in an upright position on a flat surface.
- Oil filters should be stored in a sealed bag.
Find a Drop Site for your Orange Drop materials at a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Depot, a special collection event or a return-to-retail location.
Have an Orange Drop tip to share?
Let us know on twitter @makethedrop